The PDF files linked on this page are scans of lithographs commissioned by Othniel Charles Marsh (Professor of Paleontology at Yale University). On many of the scans, you will see the following notation: “F. Berger, del” on the lower left, and “E. Crisand, lith. New Haven” on the lower right. This indicates that the artist (delineator) working for Marsh was Frederick Berger. Emil Crisand worked as the lithographer for the printers in New Haven and prepared the images for printing, transferring the original drawing to the lithographic stone. When you see a fraction after Marsh’s name, it indicates the scale of the drawing, e.g. 1/2 indicates that the scale of the drawing is half the size of the original fossil.
These lithographic prints were donated to the Peoria Academy of Science in April, 1937. The video below explains a little about the origin of these illustrations.
Peoria Academy of Science lithographs from Mark DuBois on Vimeo.
For those who would like to learn more about the “Bone Wars,” we recommend this Wikipedia article as a starting point.
The links below open PDF files of the original artwork. These are arranged by their original scientific names. Each will open in a new browser window/ tab. We also included a thumbnail image of each plate (so you can see the contents before opening the PDF).
- Balaena cisarctica plate II
- Balaena cisarctica plate III
- Balaena cisarctica plate IV
- Balaena cisarctica plate V
- Balaena cisarctica plate VI
- Balaena cisarctica plate VII
- Balaena mysticetus plate I
- Balaenoptera rostrata plate IX
- Peraceras superciliosus plate CXLIVa
- Rhachianectes glaucus plate VIII
- Stegosaurus armatus plate IV
- Stegosaurus duplex plate VIII
- Stegosaurus duplex plate XVII
- Stegosaurus duplex plate XVIII
- Stegosaurus duplex plate XX
- Stegosaurus duplex plate XXVIII (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus stenops plate II
- Stegosaurus stenops plate III
- Stegosaurus stenops plate IX
- Stegosaurus stenops plate VII
- Stegosaurus stenops plate XIV
- Stegosaurus stenops plate XXIV (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus stenops plate XXX (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XV
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XXII (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XXIII (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XXIX (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XXV (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XXVI (added Jan. 2017)
- Stegosaurus ungulatus plate XXVII (added Jan. 2017)
- Symborodon acer plate LXXXVI
- Symborodon beloceras and Symborodon altirostris plate XCVI
- Symborodon trigonoceras plate XCII
- Unnamed illustration plate X
- Unnamed illustration plate XI
- Unnamed illustration plate XII